Foods You Should Never Give Your Dog

With the headlines buzzing about certain dog treats making pets sick – and a more recent story about a Diamond Pet Foods recall – we thought this would be a good opportunity to review some of the foods that you should never feed your dog – regardless of how much they beg and make sad eyes at you.

  1.  The toxic agent in chocolate is theobromine, and it’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. Eating even a little chocolate can cause your dog to vomit, have diarrhea, and be excessively thirsty. It can also cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and death.

Onions and Garlic. Onions and garlic in all forms – powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated – can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Symptoms of anemia include weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, and breathlessness.

  1.  Avocados contain a substance called persin. It’s harmless for humans who aren’t allergic, but large amounts can be toxic to dogs.
  2.  Caffeine in large enough quantities can be fatal for a dog, and there is no antidote. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, heart palpitations, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, and fits.
  3.  Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset, as well as set up food allergies, which often manifest as itchiness.
  4.  It’s not a good idea to share salty foods like chips or pretzels with your dog. Symptoms of too much salt include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures. It may even cause death.

But this list doesn’t mean you can’t sometimes give your dog human food as a special treat – as long as portions are limited, and the foods are cooked and not fatty or heavily seasoned.

At Willard Veterinary Clinic, we want to ensure your dog has a healthy, well-balanced diet, and we are more than happy to recommend a quality dog food. A well-designed dog food gives your pet all the nutrients it needs for an active and healthy life.

Blog Category: