Springtime Health Alert: Easter Lilies are Toxic to Your Pet

Did you know that all parts of the Easter lily are more dangerous for your pet than the poinsettia? Typical signs of Easter lily toxicity include: vomiting and lethargy. Springtime brings many pets, especially cats, to the emergency room due to ingestion of Easter lilies. They are highly toxic to pets, and event the smallest amounts if ingested can cause kidney failure and death.

To help handle this type of emergency, Willard Vet has partnered with Angell Animal Medical Center Emergency service to provide 24-hour emergency service. Please call 617-522-7282 or visit www.angell.org/emergency, if you require assistance with your pet.

Pets must be treated within 18 hours of ingesting the plant, or kidney damage may be irreversible. Other toxic lilies include tiger lilies, Japanese showy lilies, and day lilies. Many other bulb plats are also poisonous, such as daffodils and hyacinths. If you have a cat, it is best to remove lilies and poisonous bulb plants from your home to ensure your pet’s safety.

For more than 20 years, Willard Veterinary Clinic has provided dedicated veterinary care for the communities of Quincy, Boston, Dorchester, Milton, Braintree, Weymouth, Canton, Randolph, Hingham, Abington, Hanover, and Rockland. Contact us to see why we’re different!

Blog Category: